Fibroids are benign tumors of the uterus and they are present in 20-50% of all women. No one knows what causes fibroids. Carolyn Myss says they represent your unbirthed creativity – dreams, and images of ourselves that have never seen the light of day.
Fibroids are often associated with conflicts about creativity, reproduction, and relationships. In a world that is so structured, and sometimes rigid, fibroids may be your body’s way of telling you to break out of the box and claim your authentic nature.
Here are some tools that have been gleaned from eastern and western healing traditions. I used a combination of these to heal my own fibroid tumors many years ago. May they serve you in your healing journey:
1. Upgrade to a whole foods diet. That means food that occurs in nature. If it’s man-made, it’s not. Steer clear of food that comes in a can, a box or a wrapper. Eat fresh, lovingly prepared, whole organic foods – grains, roots, leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, legumes, lean proteins. Eliminate/reduce dairy, sugar, high fat, caffeine and alcohol and all chemicalized, processed, artificial foods.
2. Free up blocked energy. There are several therapies that are very healing for releasing stagnant energy – acupuncture, acupressure, polarity therapy, massage, reiki, qigong, NAET – are a few. Blocked energy leads to imbalance, unaddressed imbalance leads to disease. Many of these energy practices can be self administered BUT it's important to receive. Schedule regular appointments with a practitioner and get support!
3. Dialogue with your uterus. Your body is an unlimited reservoir of information and wisdom. When you are willing to partner with it, you will uncover a plethora of messages. Awareness is key to healing any imbalance. You may be able to connect the onset of fibroids with a specific circumstance or shift in your life:
- Are you living a life by default?
- Are you finding yourself in a career or relationship that stifles who you really are?
- Are you transitioning from being an ‘on call’ Mom to empty nest?
- Are you recovering from feelings of guilt around an unwanted pregnancy or abortion?
- Do you fully own and express your sexuality?
- Do you have unexpressed anger around these questions?
There are many issues that mask the physical manifestation of fibroids, get in touch with what is really happening.
4. Apply Castor oil packs. This is an Edgar Cayce remedy that has provided results for many women. Apply packs to the lower abdomen for a minimum of three times per week. While the treatment is applied focus your attention on thoughts, images and feelings that arise during the treatment.
5. Journal. Imagine, with enthusiasm and energy, what you’d like to create in your life and write it down. Let your secret desires and inner self out of the closet and name your deepest dreams. Notice if you have any sensations in your body that are resistant. Become aware of any thoughts and feelings that arise. Write them down! Writing bridges the conscious and the subconscious mind. It is a psycho-neuromuscular activity and literally imprints the brain. This will help you identify your unconscious limiting beliefs and will help release the thoughts and ideas that block you.
6. Balance Hormones Naturally. Hormonal balance deprives fibroids of the excessive estrogen they need to thrive and this can help to naturally shrink fibroids. There are many foods that can help with this: Parsley and papaya, turmeric and ginger. In addition, ginger and turmeric (both from the same herbal family) have anti-inflammatory properties as well as being able to stop “bad” prostaglandins which can help reduce menstrual cramps that are associated with fibroid tumors.
7. Reduce Stress. Stress affects our immune system and depletes the body of vital nutrients. It also affects the endocrine system which regulates the seamless operation of hormones in the body. Reduce environmental stress on the body by monitoring noise levels, what you read or watch on the TV. Design a home environment that sustains you, build a loving network of relationships that nurture you, minimize use of cleaning items that contain petrochemicals.
8. Harness the healing energy of your breath. Maya Tiwari says, “Life is defined not by the number of years a person is alive on earth, but by the number of breaths each soul is given for its journey.” There is a whole branch of yogic science, pranayama, dedicated to the study and practice of breath. The ancients advised us to slowly synchronize the rhythms of our breath with that of nature. Breath practice reestablishes the flow of breath in harmony with the rhythms of the universe. Alternate nostril breathing is a great exercise for balancing the body, mind and spirit.
9. Focus your Intention and Express Gratitude daily. Take 5 minutes in the morning to set your intention for the day and take 5 minutes in the evening to review your day. Focus on your intention and how much of your day was aligned with it. List 3 good things about today. Find something “new and good” about today and keep it in your journal. Give thanks for all you are and have!
10. Embrace the power of self expression. You are a creative being by nature and you are creating all the time – consciously or unconsciously. What do you love to do? What excites you, fires you up, collapses time for you? Is it singing, dancing, writing, teaching, leading, painting, healing, relating? Tap into what wants to express itself through you and give it a voice.
It's important to remember that the body is a self-healing organism. Notice when you cut your finger you don't have to tell your body what to do, it heals itself. These recommendations will help to create an environment where your body is free to work its wonder!