Your personal power is essential to create the amazing life that you envision. Are you willing to step into an active role as the architect of your authority? Authority in this sense is not power over anyone else, it is about your power. It is the claiming of your own creative power, something as natural as the air you breathe.
Most likely you've experienced moments of powerlessness, moments when you gave away your power, consciously or unconsciously. Take a quick trip down memory lane and notice those choice points when you might have relinquished your power:
- Did you follow the crowd or carve your own pathway?
- Did you cave in to fit in?
- Did you silence your voice to avoid conflict, or did you firmly take a stand?
It's not unusual to outsource your personal power, especially in areas where you may feel uncertain and insecure. This isn't about going on a guilt trip or judging yourself, it's merely an invitation to reclaim your personal power.
When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid. Audre Lorde
Let's get real, it can be very uncomfortable, and even feel very dangerous, to stand apart. And yet, it's the only way to own the flow of your power. You are the only one who has the power to map out your life and you get to use that power or give it away. Either way, you choose. Unfortunately, many times you give away your personal power without even thinking about it or realizing that it's happened.
The greatest authority you’ll ever find is within you. You already know this. Your inner guidance is your most powerful ally. The still small voice is your greatest guide. It will provide answers to your deepest questions.
As challenging as it might seem to stand against the external forces, reclaiming your personal power will increase your confidence and clarity. You'll be able to discern what is true for yourself.
4 Steps to Reclaim Your Personal Power
Reclaiming your power is not something that can ordinarily be done in one fell swoop. Outsourcing your power is a matter of repeated choices and experiences. Reclaiming it is a step by step process. Bold moves and quantum leaps of trust, however, can boost your power immeasurably and create incredible momentum.
Let's explore how you can begin to reclaim your personal power with a guided visualization. Make sure that you're in a place where you are free to explore and express.
1. Connect to your body. Take several deep breaths in and out. You can close your eyes to bring more of your energy present to the moment. Tune in to how your body feels and bring your focus to the flow of right now. Notice how it feels, notice what you know.
2. Remember a powerless moment. Visualize a scene in which you continually find yourself feeling powerless. it could be a recurring theme in your life or a moment that created great distress for you. View the scene as the observer, no attachment, judgment or blame. Just notice. Be open to what you feel and sense. Be willing to ‘see'. Acknowledge what you ‘know.' Be willing to sit with it without judgment or self-criticism, experience it, feel it, and see it. Acknowledge that you “see” the situation. As you bring awareness and acknowledgment to the experience, the very act of awareness begins to change the situation immediately.
3. Reclaim your personal power. Use the power of your imagination to create an alternate story. Imagine as much detail and feelings as you can muster to take back your power and ‘make it real.' See yourself in the situation performing a “symbolic deed” representative of reclaiming your power. For example, if you gave your power away to someone who belittled you, visualize your “power” as a precious gem and ask them to give it back to you.
4. Express gratitude. Imagine that they hand you the “precious gem.” Thank them for giving back your power, forgive them and yourself for getting in this situation in the first place. See this situation as resolved and complete. Send them feelings of light and love from your heart and see them accepting this light and love. Finish up with dousing the both of you in golden liquid light from a power greater than you from about 20 feet above you both. Feel filled up with this light from the inside out.
It doesn't matter how one was brought up. What determines the way one does anything is personal power. Carlos Castaneda
Over the next several days, notice what's new and different. Whether that person is in your life or not, you may find the way you feel about them shifts. It could be that you've attracted other people that have treated you in a similar manner. You might say or do things differently.
You'll find that you start engaging in ways that are more aligned with who you really are and want to be. You'll be surprised to find that working energetically can be extremely liberating and oftentimes what happens next is something that you never anticipated. Expect miracles!