Find Your Power Pal and Craft Your Agreement
A while back I shared 5 Ways a Power Pal Can Help Create Massive Movement. Power pals have been one of my most powerful tools in creating a supportive environment for transformation and BIG Shifts. So, how do you find your own power pal and how do you get started?
1. Reach outside your inner circle. Try to partner with someone who is not a close friend, relative, roommate, or partner. You’ll see deeper benefits from your power pal relationship if it is free from attachments. Ideally, the foundation for this partnership should be that you both want to focus on your evolution. You’ll find that your power pal will evolve into a close friend naturally, which is an added bonus. But don’t assume your best friend is the ideal power pal. So, think of three or four people you know, but who aren’t necessarily in your inner circle yet. You could ask a classmate, a former colleague, or even the friend of a friend to be your power pal.
2. Set a schedule. Depending on your intention and the time frame you want to work with, determine the frequency of your calls. Identify what date and time you will connect. Decide who is responsible for initiating the call. Set ground rules about confidentiality, topics you’ll cover, and acceptable reasons to miss a call. Also, share what you both want to gain from the partnership and how you can support one another. You do not want this to devolve into a bitching session, and you don't want this to be ‘nice.' You want it to be True.
3. Keep your word. The power pal system only works if you work it. So, don’t take this on if you’re not willing to commit. You’ll only get out of the relationship what you put in. And though it may feel like work, once you and your power pal are up and running, you’ll experience the incredible power for yourself.
The Power Pal agreement is what creates the breeding ground of possibility. Whatever you're feeling on a personal level you show up for the party. You both say, “Yes!” to the next and are willing to feel, sense and know and partner on the possibilities.
Here's my ACER Framework to navigate your power pal relationship:
- Acknowledge Your Purpose. Explore your reason for being in this partnership. Then tune into the aligned purpose of your partnership.
- Craft an Agreement. Decide who will be the scribe for this exercise. Include your intention and commitment. Determine the length, frequency, and format of your sessions. Put it in a document, or note, and send it to your partner. Seal the agreement: either acknowledge out loud or sign the document. Honor your agreement.
- Enjoy Your Connection. Schedule 30 minutes for your power pal Sessions. You can decide to each check in for 15 minutes, or allow yourself to be led by the flow. Focus most of the time on noticing where you're in flow and exploring it. Give some time to sharing what's not working and what's possible. Use ‘how you feel' to indicate when you're complete. Remember to celebrate the wins and the wows.
- Revisit the Agreement. As you approach the end of your agreement take time to check in whether you need to continue, or whether you are complete for now.
And … there is no “right way” to do this, just find a flow that works for both of you. It may take you a bit to find your perfect Power Pal but it’s worth it. You’ll find your confidence, focus and power grow and you’ll develop great trust that it all turns out. It is incredibly simple and yet magical.